Home About us Partnership Join us Proposals Buttons

ID='HTML3'

Recruitment is still open, so if you want to join us, visit page called "Join us".
Sunday, April 22, 2012

[26] Second conditional

[artykuł przeniesiony z poprzedniego adresu]

If + past simple, would/wouldn’t + infinitive

We use the second conditional to talk about hypothetical or imaginary situation in the present or future and its consequence.


Drugiego trybu warunkowego używamy, mówiąc o hipotetycznej czy mało realnej sytuacji w teraźniejszości bądź przyszłości i jej konsekwencjach.

Example sentences:
If I had more money, I would buy a Lamborgini.
If he spoke Spanish, he could get a job in a restaurant.
I would be more relaxed if I changed my job.
I wouldn’t do it unless you paid me.
If I were you, I’d marry her.

You can use second conditionals beginning If I were you, I’d… to give advice. You can’t use If I was you.
Można użyć sformułowania If I were you, I’d… aby udzielić komuś rady. Nie należy pisać wtedy if I was you.
You can also use would/wouldn’t + infinitive (without an if clause) to talk about imaginary situations.
Aby mówić o wymyślonych sytuacjach można użyć samego would + infinitive bez części z if.
Examples:
My ideal holiday would be a week in Russia
I’d never buy a house near the sea.

Comparison with first conditional
I don’t have much money, so I can’t buy a Ferrari real situation in the first conditional
If I had more money, I’d buy a Ferrari imaginary situation in the second conditional

If I have time, I’ll help you  possible situation. I may have time.
If I had time, I’d help you imaginary/ hypothetical situation. I don’t / won’t have time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search